Download Golf News for our latest news and information for golf courses.
40% slender creeping red fescue
40% Chewings red fescue
20% browntop bentgrass
Construction of free-draining fine-turf areas; golf and bowling greens
- CLASSIC 80:20 is a traditional mix of fescue and bentgrass designed to deliver a consistent and balanced blend of these species when sowing out new fine-turf areas such as golf and bowling greens.
- The fescue part of the mixture is made up of equal portions of slender red creeping fescue and Chewings red fescue seed. The combination of these two sub-species offers the best solution for year-round performance and growth in fescue-dominant turf – Chewings fescues will generally be most active in spring through to mid-summer, whereas slender creepers “kick in” during early summer and perform well through to autumn.
- CLASSIC 80:20 contains the top-rated red fescue on the market (Barlineus, 20%) and the #2-ranked slender Viktorka.
- BarKing is the variety of browntop bentgrass in the mixture. It is an excellent European- bred cultivar with superior wear tolerance and winter colour. It also possesses very good tolerance to Microdochium Patch disease (Fusarium).
- Barenbrug recently published results of an extensive four-year trial assessed independently by the STRI, which highlighted the benefits of sowing newly constructed golf greens with a high quality 80:20 mixture of fescue and browntop bentgrass. The mix is adaptable to a variety of maintenance regimes and is very effective at limiting Poa annua ingression.