Discover our agriculture and farming resources
- 20% faster establishing than the average ryegrass
- Can assist with prevention of winter soil erosion
- Strong autumn-winter-spring growth
- High quality, high quantity forage production from 2-18 months
- Adds organic matter to the soil improving its quality, structure and nutrient holding capacity
- Delivers up to 30% more yield in the first year compared to a perennial ryegrass ley
When to sow
It gives total flexibility for up to 18 months production potential that can fit into different regimes, where extra forage is required immediately and could also be established after a spring cereal harvest, or where an autumn crop has been prevented from being planted giving a short term opportunity to bring rotations back into sync.
This specialist ryegrass mix will produce up to 30% more forage than a newly sown perennial ryegrass ley and is designed to give maximum bulk, instantly producing leafy quality forage from now all the way through to next winter.
BARBUMPER has been developed using the concept of ‘germination energy’. It can grow in down to 3°C soil temperature and will utilise the nutrients that are available in the soil even after a dry summer. It has the ability to make use of existing nutrients in the soil after the previous crop soaking up N, thus decreasing winter leaching.
When to utilise
BARBUMPER is equally at home being used as a winter grazing mixture, early spring cut before being ploughed out for a spring-sown crop or used as a sacrifice field for early spring grazing as a more cost-effective alternative to perennial ryegrass.
Helps to improve soil quality, organic matter and provides other benefits through active growth, rooting, ground cover and habitat provision for arable rotations over bare fallow, reducing nutrient losses via run-off and leaching.