BARBUMPER establishes quickly to provide a catch and cover crop with rapid growth even at cool temperatures offering production early spring and late into autumn, delivering extra grazing opportunities over winter.
It gives total flexibility for up to 18 months production potential and could also be established after a
spring cereal harvest, or where an autumn crop has been prevented from being planted giving a short term opportunity to bring rotations back into sync.
Thanks to its ability to germinate at lower
temperatures than conventional leys meaning it can be sown safely throughout October, being developed using the concept of ‘germination energy’.
This concept means it will establish faster
and better than other leys, even in the adverse conditions of cold, wet seed beds which appear later in the year.
20% faster establishing than the average ryegrass
By measuring the germination rate under low temperatures of 7-10°C, and selecting those which give the best germination in the shortest time, the result is an establishment rate of over 20 percent above the average ryegrass.
BARBUMPER is a very flexible product that can fit into different regimes providing high output short term forage production.
It is equally at home being used as an early spring cut before being ploughed out for a spring sown crop or used as a sacrifice field for early spring grazing as a more cost effective alternative to ryegrass.
• Can assist with prevention of winter soil erosion
• It has the ability to make use of existing nutrients in the soil after previous crop soaking up N, thus decreasing winter leaching
• Can add organic matter to the soil improving its quality, structure and nutrient holding capacity
• Blending Italian ryegrass with hybrid and perennial ryegrasses ensures the mixture delivers a rounded performance with very rapid establishment, a bottom to the sward, making it denser, and very tight heading dates
• Delivers over 18% more in the first year compared to a perennial ryegrass ley